19 June 2018

Myanmar

Myanmar targeted the educated in genocide, Rohingya refugees say

KONFRONTASI - Members of Myanmar’s persecuted Rohingya community say government forces have specifically targeted the minority group’s religious figures and teachers in their crackdown in Rakhine state.

More than a dozen Rohingya teachers, elders and religious leaders from the Rohingya community, who fled to neighboring Bangladesh, recently told Associated Press that they were singled out and disproportionately targeted by security forces.

Pengungsi Rohingya Kloter Pertama Tiba di Myanmar

KONFRONTASI - Kelompok pertama yang terdiri dari 62 Muslim Rohingya yang terpaksa mengungsi ke Bangladesh akibat kekerasan di Provinsi Rakhine dilaporkan kembali ke negaranya.

Kanada Siap Tampung Pengungsi Rohingya

KONFRONTASI-Kanada, Rabu (23/5), mengatakan siap untuk menerima pengungsi Rohingya, menjanjikan bantuan besar dan menyerukan penuntutan terhadap mereka yang bertanggung jawab atas kekejaman hak asasi manusia di Myanmar.

Bayi Hasil Korban Perkosaan Mulai Lahir, Derita Rohingya Belum Berakhir

Oleh: Yuyun Rumiwati

Tidak terasa hampir 9 bulan tragedi Rohingya Agustus 2017 sudah berlalu. Namun, derita belum berakhir, bahkan wanita Rohingya korban kekerasan seksual oleh pasukan Myanmar 9 bulan lalu pun mulai melahirkan. Dokter pun mulai mempersiapkan lonjakan wanita Rohingya yang akan melahirkan dari korban kekerasan tersebut. (republika co.id 2/5/2018)

Myanmar forces to screen refugees before delivering aid to Kachin State

KONFRONTASI - Myanmar government says it will "scrutinize" the identity of refugees in northern Kachin State to ensure insurgents do not receive humanitarian aid after weeks of fighting between the army and an ethnic armed group in the war-torn region.

Government spokesman Zaw Htay said on Thursday fears of a delay in delivering aid should not compel the government to give unconditional humanitarian support to those trapped in the village of Aung Lawt.

Myanmar not ready for return of Rohingya Muslims, says UNHCR

KONFRONTASI - The UN refugee agency has said that conditions in Myanmar are not ready for the return of persecuted Rohingya Muslims who fled to neighboring Bangladesh following a military crackdown in Rakhine state last year.  

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said in a statement on Thursday that Myanmar was not prepared for Rohingya repatriation. It noted that the responsibility remains with the government to create such conditions.

How the families of 10 massacred Rohingya fled Myanmar

KONFRONTASI-Rehana Khatun dreamed her husband came home. He appeared without warning in their village in western Myanmar, outside their handsome wooden house shaded by mango trees. “He didn’t say anything,” she said. “He was only there for a few seconds, and then he was gone.” Then Rehana Khatun woke up.

She woke up in a shack of ragged tarpaulin on a dusty hillside in Bangladesh. Her husband, Nur Mohammed, is never coming home. He was one of 10 Rohingya Muslim men massacred last September by Myanmar soldiers and Rakhine Buddhists at the coastal village of Inn Din.

Rehana Khatun’s handsome wooden house is gone, too. So is everything in it. The Rohingya homes in Inn Din were burned to the ground, and what was once a close-knit community, with generations of history in Myanmar, is now scattered across the world’s largest refugee camp in Bangladesh.

A Reuters investigation in February revealed what happened to the 10 Rohingya men. On September 1, soldiers snatched them from a large group of Rohingya villagers detained by a beach near Inn Din. The next morning, according to eyewitnesses, the men were shot by the soldiers or hacked to death by their Rakhine Buddhist neighbors. Their bodies were dumped in a shallow grave.

The relatives the 10 men left behind that afternoon wouldn’t learn of the killings for many months - in some cases, not until Reuters reporters tracked them down in the refugee camps and told them what had happened. The survivors waited by the beach with rising anxiety and dread as the sun set and the men didn’t return.

This is their story. Three of them fled Inn Din while heavily pregnant. All trekked north in monsoon rain through forests and fields. Drenched and terrified, they dodged military patrols and saw villages abandoned or burning. Some saw dead bodies. They walked for days with little food or water.

They were not alone. Inn Din’s families joined nearly 700,000 Rohingya escaping a crackdown by the Myanmar military, launched after attacks by Rohingya militants on August 25. The United Nations called it “a textbook example of ethnic cleansing,” which Myanmar has denied.

On Tuesday, the military said it had sentenced seven soldiers to long prison terms for their role in the Inn Din massacre. Myanmar government spokesman Zaw Htay told Reuters the move was a “very positive step” that showed the military “won’t give impunity for those who have violated the rules of engagement.” Myanmar, he said, doesn’t allow systematic human rights abuses.

Reuters was able to corroborate many but not all details of the personal accounts in this story.

The Rohingya streamed north until they reached the banks of the Naf River. On its far shore lay Bangladesh, and safety. Many Inn Din women gave boatmen their jewelry to pay for the crossing; others begged and fought their way on board. They made the perilous crossing at night, vomiting with sickness and fear.

Now in Bangladesh, they struggle to piece together their lives without husbands, fathers, brothers and sons. Seven months have passed since the massacre, but the grief of Inn Din’s survivors remains raw. One mother told Reuters her story, then fainted.

Like Rehana Khatun, they all say they dream constantly about the dead. Some dreams are bittersweet - a husband coming home, a son praying in the mosque - and some are nightmares. One woman says she sees her husband clutching a stomach wound, blood oozing through his fingers.

Daytime brings little relief. They all remember, with tormenting clarity, the day the soldiers took their men away.

Seven Myanmar soldiers sentenced to 10 years for Rohingya massacre

KONFRONTASI-Seven Myanmar soldiers have been sentenced to “10 years in prison with hard labor in a remote area” for participating in a massacre of 10 Rohingya Muslim men in a village in northwestern Rakhine state last September, the army said on Tuesday.

The military said in a statement published on Commander-in-Chief Min Aung Hlaing’s office Facebook page that seven soldiers have had “action taken against them” for “contributing and participating in murder”.

Tujuh Tentara Myanmar Diganjar 10 Tahun Penjara Terkait Pembantaian Rohingya

KONFRONTASI-Tujuh tentara Myanmar dijatuhi "hukuman penjara 10 tahun disertai kerja paksa di sebuah daerah terpencil" karena terlibat dalam pembunuhan massal terhadap 10 pria Muslim Rohingya September tahun lalu, kata militer, Selasa.

Militer mengatakan dalam pernyataan, yang dimuat pada halaman Facebook kantor Panglima Tertinggi Min Aung Hlaing, bahwa tujuh prajurit "telah dikenai tindakan" karena "berperan dan berpartisipasi dalam pembunuhan".

Nelayan Aceh Timur Temukan 5 Etnis Rohingya Terdampar di Laut

Konfrontasi - Nelayan Aceh Timur, Provinsi Aceh, menemukan Lima etnis Rohingya yang terdampar di laut. Mereka adalah warga negara Mnyanmar yang terdiri dari dua orang laki-laki dewasa, satu orang anak, serta dua orang wanita.

Komandan Pangkalan TNI AL Lhokseumawe Kolonel Laut (P) M.Sjamsul Rizal, mengatakan, mereka ditemukan oleh kapal nelayan Aceh Timur KM. Kurnia King, pada hari Senin (2/4), pukul 20.30 Wib, sekitar 176 Mil dari Kuala Idi Rayeuk, Aceh Timur.

Pages