On Monday, Powerful typhoon kills two, snarls transport for thousands in Japan

Staff members work on clearing railway tracks of fallen trees following typhoon Trami in Tokyo, Japan, 01 October 2018. Powerful typhoon Trami moved across Japan, hitting the entire country with strong winds. Transportation services were largely disrupted across the country, with the suspension of bullet train services and cancellation of more than 1,000 flights. According to media reports, two people were killed and more than 80 people injured. EPA photo


KONFRONTASI -  A powerful typhoon brought down trees onto railroad tracks and kicked up debris across Tokyo as it brushed past the Japanese capital early on Monday, killing two people and stranding thousands as train lines were closed or severely delayed.

Typhoon Trami made landfall in western Japan on Sunday evening and threatened heavy rains, strong winds and landslides on the northern-most main island of Hokkaido, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The island was hit by a deadly earthquake last month.

The typhoon, rated by Tropical Storm Risk as a category 1, the lowest on a five-point scale, killed two people and injured almost 130, public broadcaster NHK said.

Another two people were missing, it said, and almost 400,000 households were without power.

Aerial footage on NHK showed hundreds of people waiting outside train stations, with several major commuter lines closed since Sunday. More than 230 flights were cancelled, mainly in northern Japan, NHK said.



A woman walks against the strong winds after Typhoon Trami hit the city of Kagoshima on Kyushu island on September 30, 2018. - The powerful typhoon hurtled toward Japan's mainland on September 30 after injuring dozens on southern islands, as weather officials warned that fierce winds and torrential rain could trigger landslides and floods. AFP photo (Juft/The New Straits Time)




Kansai International Airport in Osaka in western Japan said it had opened its runways as scheduled at 6 a.m. (2100 GMT Sunday), after being closed since 11 a.m. on Sunday.

The airport had only fully reopened on Sept. 21 after being heavily flooded earlier that month by Typhoon Jebi, the most powerful storm to hit Japan in 25 years.