Hong Kong protesters agree to hold talks with authorities

KONFRONTASI - Hong Kong protesters have agreed to hold talks with authorities but say they will keep up with protests until their demands are met.

On Monday, Lester Shum, a leader of the Hong Kong Federation of Students, said an agreement had been reached over the talks.

Hong Kong's chief executive, Leung Chun-ying, said earlier that the government sought "a sincere dialogue on political reform."

The official called on the protesters to stop blocking the streets in the flashpoint district of Mongkok.

"There are lots of teenagers and students with passion who love Hong Kong in various assemblies. However, some of them are aggressive and use violence. No matter what your attitude is toward Occupy Central, the police will firmly take enforcement action to those who use violence," Leung said.

Many heeded the call, but the majority of demonstrators remained at the protest site.

For over a week, thousands of protesters thronged the streets, demanding that China ditch its decision to handpick candidates for Hong Kong's 2017 election.

Therefore, the voters will have to choose from a list of two or three candidates selected by a nominating committee.

China has said it will introduce universal suffrage for the city’s 2017 election, but wants a committee to approve the candidates.

Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China. The financial hub has enjoyed substantial political autonomy since 1997, when its leadership returned to China after about a century of British colonial rule.[presstv]

 GULIRKAN KE BAWAH UNTUK MELIHAT ARTIKEL LAINNYA  

loading...