Coronavirus threatens global peace and stability, warns UN chief | News from the world

KONFRONTASI -    The UN chief called the pandemic coronavirus “a generation’s fight” and a threat to global peace and security.

Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has warned the UN Security Council that the pandemic could increase social unrest and violence, which would significantly affect the world’s ability to fight the disease.

It is, he said, the most serious test of the UN since its creation 75 years ago and has already hampered efforts to resolve international, regional and national conflicts.

“This is the fight of a generation and purpose [reason for being] of the United Nations, “he said.

More than 95,000 people died Friday morning after contracting Covid-19, according to John Hopkins University, which tracks the numbers. More than 1.6 million had been diagnosed as the economic impact continued to grow. One in 10 Americans lost their jobs because of the virus and the IMF chief said the world was on the right track for the worst recession since the Great Depression.

António Guterres said the world is already seeing “ruinous social and economic impacts.” But the pandemic also poses a significant threat to the maintenance of international peace and security. “

He warned that the pandemic could lead to opportunistic terrorist attacks, erosion of trust in public institutions, economic instability, political tensions due to the postponement of elections or referendums, and Covid-19 “triggering or exacerbating various human rights challenges ”.

He said the participation of the Security Council would be “essential to mitigate the implications for peace and security” and “a signal of unity and determination on the part of the Council would be very important during this anxious period”.

After Thursday’s meeting with António Guterres, which was held via closed video link, the security council issued its first statement since the start of the epidemic. He expressed “support for all the efforts of the Secretary General regarding the potential impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on countries affected by conflict and recalled the need for unity and solidarity with all those concerned “

In the midst of the call for unity, China increasingly weighed between the World Health Organization and Taiwan.

The Taiwan business office accused the Taiwan government late “of using the virus unscrupulously for independence, of venomously attacking WHO and its officials, of conspiring with the army of the green Internet. to spread racist remarks without reason … We strongly condemn that. “

It followed the exchange of charges between WHO and Taiwan in recent days, largely due to Taiwan’s continued exclusion from WHO membership and activities due to lobbying. by the government of the Chinese Communist Party, which claims Taiwan as Chinese territory. Taiwan has successfully prevented a mass epidemic, but has repeatedly complained of being excluded from the coordinated global response, endangering Taiwanese lives.

WHO has been accused of being too deferential to China and praising its viral response despite the government’s initial suppression of information on the epidemic. WHO denies the accusation and on Wednesday its director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said that he had been subjected to months of attacks, including racist attacks against him and the black communities, and accused Taiwan of tolerating the ” countryside “.

In response, the Taiwan Foreign Ministry asked for clarification and an apology for the “baseless” charge and an “extremely irresponsible act of slander.”

The Trump administration has joined in criticism of the WHO, accusing it of putting politics first by ignoring the early warnings issued by Taiwan. The State Department said on Thursday that the WHO left it too late and “preferred politics to public health.”

This week, Donald Trump threatened to end funding for the WHO, but was accused of seeking to make him a scapegoat in order to distract from his own failures in preparing the United States for its own epidemic, which infected more than 465,000 people and killed nearly 15,000 Friday morning.

In other developments:

    EU countries have agreed to a € 500 billion rescue agreement for those hardest hit by the pandemic.

    Boris Johnson, the British Prime Minister, was withdrawn from intensive care after being admitted three days earlier with coronavirus.

    People all over the world have been told to stay home over the Easter holidays. Authorities in several countries have warned of obstacles to the application of social distance.

    China has tightened monitoring and reporting requirements for asymptomatic “silent” carriers. President Xi Jinping said Wednesday that new challenges to China’s economic and social recovery are emerging.

    The Governor of New York said a record 799 people died of Covid-19 on Wednesday, bringing the state’s total loss to 7,067. Cuomo warned that the economic impact on the state should be worse than September 11. There were signs of hope, with New York recording its lowest number of new hospitalizations since the start of the epidemic.

    The South Korean city of Daegu, which suffered the first major coronavirus outbreak outside of China on Friday, reported zero new cases for the first time since late February, as new infections across the country fell to record levels.

    High-level investigations into allegations of inhuman treatment in certain elderly care facilities have been requested. Terrible stories from around the world have emerged from nursing homes for the aged, including in Spain where the military has reported finding dead and abandoned in their beds.

    The death toll in retirement homes in the UK is likely to be much higher than previously announced, the Guardian has learned, with hundreds of coronavirus deaths confirmed or suspected not yet officially counted.

    Bangladesh has imposed a “complete foreclosure” in its Cox’s Bazaar neighborhood, which is home to more than a million Rohingya refugees from neighboring Myanmar, and South Africa has extended its foreclosure for another 15 days, imposed by the police and the army.

    The official death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in Iran has surpassed 4,000, the country’s health ministry said on Thursday after 117 more people have been confirmed dead from the disease in the past 24 hours.(Jft/FR24News)

 GULIRKAN KE BAWAH UNTUK MELIHAT ARTIKEL LAINNYA  

loading...